Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Answer My Friend is Blowin In the Wind...and the Willows

Ever since my first visit to Disneyland (so long ago the canoe trip in Frontierland was considered "state-of-the-art") my favorite ride there has been Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I always loved the quick turns and near disasters, and no, not because it reminded me of my own driving abilities. Yet, until Elijah's arrival I had never known the source and inspiration for this ride.

As a gift years ago, Elijah got a DVD of Wind and the Willows, and though the sound mix and animation of this version appears to have been done somewhere in the Outback, (it was done by a company in Australia) the little guy loves it nonetheless. And as for me, knowing the background story of Toad Hall and all of it's animal denizens, gave me not only a greater understanding of the ride, but a huge desire to share the joy of experiencing Toad's escapade with my son. (And yes, I know it will have to be at Disneyland as the Toad ride was closed in Orlando.)

So until we take that trip to childhood Mecca, which will be probably this year, Elijah will have to make do with a DVD, his imagination and the artistic ability to recreate the main characters:

I think Walt would have been proud.

No comments: