Saturday, February 7, 2009

Meme....Tootoo

Since I have now seen at least one story every day this week on the phenomenon "25 Things" I feel a need to get my list done before this fad goes the way of the pet rock. (See, Sarah, I will get it done before the end of the month!)

So here goes:

1. I have never seen a single episode of "West Wing," "Everyone Loves Raymond" or "CSI," but have watched countless infomercials from beginning to end.
2. Growing up in Los Angeles, I thought I could never live anywhere else. Now, I can't even fathom raising my child there.
3. I used to love pets, but now every time my son gets near a dog or cat, I fear something bad is going to happen.
4. Because of my back surgery, I have been unable to play racquetball for the last 7 years, the one sport I was pretty good at.
5. Speaking of sports, one that I'm mediocre at, golf, gives me great pleasure. This is especially true when I hit that one great shot during a round and feel I'm ready for the Seniors Tour.
6. I have never played on a Wii or XBox, but still have my "Intellivison" games, whose graphics are one step above "Pong."
7. I truly value my friends, most of whom I've known for over forty years.
8. Although I go to High Holiday services, the only time I went to Temple on a regular basis was during my divorce.
9. Unfortunately, I have a tendency to hit stationary objects while driving. ... Thankfully, none are living, breathing creatures.
10. During my senior year in college, I once bought a term paper, which I then rewrote. I was so ashamed of this that I asked the person to make it average, at best. His response. ..."Dude, it's the same price for an A or a C."
11. I once wrote a script for the show "Cheers" that got, through connections, to the head writer. He called me, told me he enjoyed the script and invited me to watch an episode being filmed. When we met he told me that I should keep at it, that I had a talent for comedic writing. Almost twenty years later, I'm still working on my second script.
12. I don't follow through on things as often as I should.
13. One of my greatest regrets is that when I was at UCLA, a director asked me to audition for a play and I was too scared to show up. Who knows -- it could have been me saying "The plane! the plane!".
14. I didn't speak with my sister for over a year, but now we talk at least a few times a month and her advice and wisdom is something I not only seek but cherish.
15. I always wanted to have the latest in stereo equipment, but due to other expenses, my system today would be called "retro" at best. On the bright side, I did get an iPOD last year and finally put away my Walkman.
16. Most people consider me extremely open, yet I do keep some things to myself and some emotions hidden, even from my closest friend, Sarah.
17. If I'm flipping through the channels and I see that "The Godfather" I or II is on, I will watch them.
18. I've been on three game shows, and like Weird Al Yankovic, I lost on "Jeopardy."
19. I grew up in a loving family that took trips together every year and parents that were involved and concerned in their children's lives. It wasn't until much later in life I realized all families weren't that way.
20. As a child, I could play board games by myself for hours upon hours.
21. My love of rock 'n roll is matched only by my complete lack of musical ability.
22. Although I have traveled all over the world, I have a fear of flying. Oddly, that fear evaporates when I fly with Elijah.
23. When I was younger, my life was more like Ozzy Osborne's. It is now more like Ozzie Nelson's.
24. Once on a childhood vacation with my family, I insisted on, and ate, hamburgers for eight of our nine meals. (One night we went to a Chinese restaurant.) I wonder where Elijah gets his finicky eating habits?
25. When Sarah told me she was pregnant, I jumped into the air and had a smile from ear to ear. With all that has happened over the last five years -- the good and bad -- the smile has only gotten wider.

No comments: