Friday, July 4, 2008

WWBBD (What Would Brian Boitano Do?)



Ever since we first met, I've known that one of Sarah's favorite activities is to go ice skating. I however don't get a great deal of enjoyment hanging onto a rail for dear life as four and five year olds whizz past me like I'm a stalled car on the highway. (To be fair, Sarah cannot understand my love of golf.) So she was delighted when it appeared as if Elijah seemed to enjoy being on skates as much as she did.

Since I was off work early yesterday, I went along to the rink (only as a spectator) as Elijah went to try out his new skates. On the way there Sarah and I got into a discussion as to how few times we now each engaged in our favorite pastimes. From once every couple of weeks, I now play golf once every couple of months (usually on a holiday weekend). Sarah had gone from maybe once a week to a once every quarter skater. (That will change soon as she has signed up for a "Mommy and Me" skate class-but I don't think chasing Elijah around a rink counts as relaxing ice time!) But the funny part as we discussed this was neither one of us would have traded the time spent with Elijah for those activities, or anything else. I guess that's what being a parent means.
So I watched the two of them skate (and took pictures) and thought to myself how lucky we are. For all of his difficulties (and they are MINOR compared to what some other children we know have gone through) Elijah is a happy little guy, whose joyous personality makes activities with him fun. Do I miss crushing a drive 270 yards straight down the middle of the fairway? No, because I've never done that. But I do miss hacking away at a small white ball for countless holes till everything goes right for about 10 minutes and I either par, or wonder of wonders, shoot a birdie. But I would gladly trade even that moment for the happy giggle or pure scream of joy as Elijah jumps into our park pool.
I will not, however, partake in his ice skating activity. I will gladly watch from the stands as he uses his glider, with mommy's help, to manuver on the ice. For it is my fear that if I again try to lace up the skates and get out on the rink, I too will be using a glider like the one Elijah is using in the picture here, except mine would be one used by the elderly to walk, horn included.

No comments: