Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Well she did grow up near Branson...Maybe that explains it

When Sarah set up this site, and eventually gave me the password to post, one thing we both vowed not to do was have a back and forth between us on any subject matter. If there is anything more boring than watching a couple bicker (notice how James Carville and Mary Matalin's tiring act has worn thin) it's reading them do it on a blog. But in a post yesterday she went too far and I could not look at myself in the mirror if I didn't respond.


SHE HATED A BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN CONCERT!!!!!!!!


While you're at it, why not despise motherhood and apple pie as well? The man gave us everything he had while playing for THREE hours. He played songs from every album he ever recorded with the E Street Band, took requests (even having Max Weinberg sing a song) and did it with so much joy and energy you felt like you were at the party at "Mary's Place."

Well apparently that wasn't good enough for Sarah. Was the mix too loud and a little muddy? Perhaps, but this was a rock and roll concert, not a chamber music recital. Did he sing everyone's favorite song? If you're not a lifelong fan of "The Boss" (and even if you are) there are going to be some unfamiliar songs as he has compiled a huge catalog over the last 30 years, but that's what you get at a Springsteen concert. IT WAS A GREAT SHOW. The only downside for me (outside of knowing my wife was wandering around the arena cursing me underneath her breath) was seeing Clarence Clemons moving around the stage like a 67-year-old man, while the rest of the band acted as if they had turned back the clock.

As for Sarah and myself, I currently am brushing up on my Italian, grand jetes and salchows because as penitence for the transgression of bringing her to this incredible concert, I have been informed that I must accompany my wife to an opera, ballet and figure skating show.

It could have been much worse. For awhile she was insisting that we take Elijah to the circus, even though he has no interest in animals and I can't stand clowns. So instead of ten midgets in greasepaint cramming into a VW bug, I'll be watching Sasha Cohen glide across the ice.

And, most importantly, I got to see Bruce sing Rosalita live one more time.

No comments: