Monday, December 22, 2008

It's Top 10 time!

Well, it's actually two Top 5 lists. I'm trying to update this blog more often but am too lazy to do those long posts all the time (you can thank me now!)

Top 5 things I hate about winter:
5. All that yucky mud and salt and dirt covering my car and eating away at the undercarriage.
4. No flowers, leaves or green grass in sight. For month after month after month.
3. Leaving my desk exhausted at midnight, going outside and finding that a 20-minute ice-scraping job awaits before I can start the half-hour drive home.
2. That sinking feeling as I try to start the car in subzero temperatures, with my (painfully frozen) fingers crossed in hopes that the engine will, indeed, eventually come to life. And then trying to coax the frozen steering wheel to turn and the stick shift to shift.
1. That blast of cold air whistling through the crack between the door and the frame and chilling the entire downstairs because when last I thought about weatherstripping, it was when I happened to notice, on a 103-degree day in July, that it was all peeling off. Must get that fixed before winter, I told myself.


Top 5 things I love about winter:
5. Watching big, beautiful snowflakes transform the world into a quiet, pristine and glittering landscape that no Hallmark card can even begin to replicate.
4. Bundling up with Elijah, layer after natural-fiber layer, so we can go out to the backyard to make snow angels and sled down the hill.
3. Snow ice cream!
2. Curling up with a good book or a glass of wine (or both!) in front of a roaring fireplace on a cold, dark night. Might even have a few freshly baked chocolate-chip cookies, while I'm being indulgent.
1. Dreaming of a white Christmas -- and watching that dream come true with my little boy!

No comments: